Many electronics in our homes and offices are run by batteries, with a sizeable percentage of those appliances or gadgets using double A batteries (AA batteries). All the big brands have found different ways to make this iconic battery type more functional and efficient, with the different battery types serving specific purposes, this aa battery review helps you understand which type is ideal for different uses, what the components in the batteries are and how they come together to light up the planet.
Table of Contents
- 0.1 Considerations when choosing the best AA batteries
- 1 15 Best AA Batteries for Keeping Charged
- 1.0.1 Energizer AA Lithium Batteries
- 1.0.2 Energizer AA Batteries (48 Count)
- 1.0.3 AmazonBasics AA High-Performance Alkaline Batteries, 48 Pack
- 1.0.4 Duracell – CopperTop
- 1.0.5 Allmax AA Maximum
- 1.0.6 ACDelco 100-Count AA Batteries
- 1.0.7 Rayovac AA Batteries
- 1.0.8 Duracell Optimum AA Batteries
- 1.0.9 Anker Alkaline AA Batteries
- 1.0.10 Rayovac AA Batteries, Ultra Pro
- 1.0.11 Panasonic 5741
- 1.0.12 Energizer Rechargeable AA
- 1.0.13 AmazonBasics High-Capacity AA
- 1.0.14 Duracell – Rechargeable AA Batteries
- 1.0.15 Panasonic BK-3MCCA8BA Eneloop
- 2 Overall Best Buy
- 3 Best Budget Buy
- 4 Types of Batteries
- 5 Safe Battery Disposal and Storage
Considerations when choosing the best AA batteries
It is not as easy as walking into a store and picking out the first set or battery pack you see on the shelves. You need tp understand the following to guide you in your choice making. These factors are:
The capacity of batteries talks about ow much charge they hold and how long this charge can be used up. Alkaline batteries usually have an average of 800mAh and the rechargeable batteries can have as much as 2,000 mAh. How much charge you would need your batteries to hold would be largely dependent on the device you intend to power, low drain devices can run efficiently on alkaline batteries while high drain devices would be better on rechargeable aa batteries.
Every time a rechargeable battery is charged and discharged, it is said to have gone through one cycle. And with each cycle the battery breaks down, so the higher the number of cycles a battery is said to have, the longer the life span of the battery. If your device is power hungry, it is important that you lookout for batteries with longer cycles, ones with a rating of at least 500 cycles should do the trick.
Rechargeable batteries often lose their charge when not in use, if you do not intend to use the batteries daily or immediately and would leave them in storage, you need to pick out battery manufacturers that are known for comparatively low self discharge rates.
Most powerful aa batteries are regarded so because of their consistency in lifespan and capacity. Cheaper batteries on the other hand are inconsistent and could bring about inefficiency. For most applications this can be overlooked, but for the best performance, this can not be overlooked.
15 Best AA Batteries for Keeping Charged
Energizer AA Lithium Batteries
The Energizer Ultimate Lithium Batteries are the best choice for top rated aa batteries. Ultimate lithium are the longest lasting aa batteries and a pack of these low drain devices have long term usage that outlast most other types. The AA battery can be used to power anything from surveillance systems to game controllers. The detailed information about the safety-conscious, leak-proof design of this battery is thing about the manufacturer of this brand that makes the difference.
- it can perform in extreme temperatures.
- Lasts up to 20 years in storage.
- Weighs less than standard alkaline batteries.
- Performance is based on standard use.
Energizer AA Batteries (48 Count)
These low drain devices offer an entire list of remarkable benefits and can be a great choice for powering your items in the office and at home. It is the longest lasting battery with durable charge and usage. The MAX AA battery powers lots of everyday devices and offers the best quality with the innovative design of this alkaline battery.
- The battery has the longest lasting power.
- The set is designed to protect devices from leakage.
- Great for backup and can be stored for up to 10 years.
- Doesn’t withstand extreme temperatures.
- Leak resistant construction and storage period can be improved on.
AmazonBasics AA High-Performance Alkaline Batteries, 48 Pack
These AA 1.5-volt performance products have a wide variety of uses and is a great idea for everyday devices such as your flashlight, digital cameras, wall clocks, computer system and even toys! This high quality battery has an improved design and impressive product information and reviews that gives it a high level of reliability.
- The battery has an air- and liquid-tight seal to lock power In and prevent leakage.
- It adapts power discharge to the needs of the device.
- The battery can be bought in bulk because it lasts a long time in storage.
- The battery is not rechargeable or reusable.
- It isn’t suitable use in extreme temperatures.
Duracell – CopperTop
This AA Alkaline Battery has a design that’s dependable and provides long lasting power for users. The high drain devices are ideal for variety of household electronics like your smoke alarms, flashlights, clocks, TV remotes and other devices you use daily. Duracell is one of the top trusted name brands you can rely on to deliver products with reliable power and durable shelf life of up to 10 years.
- Suitable for wide range of uses.
- The battery is available in a variety of types and sizes.
- Designed to protect from leak and corrosion.
- Extreme heat or cold reduces battery performance.
- The product is not rechargeable.
Allmax AA Maximum
These are the longest lasting high drain devices with voltage capacity for first class performance. This type of alkaline batteries are compatible with a large number of devices and can be used with your digital camera, Christmas decorations, camping lanterns, smoke alarms and many more. This battery is one that offers stability and long term use with almost everything you need it for at an average price.
- The package can be kept in storage for a 10 year duration without differences to the quality or capacity of the product.
- Device compatibility gives wide range of options for use.
- You can not charge or recharge the batteries.
- The battery can not be exposed to heat.
ACDelco 100-Count AA Batteries
These are one of the best batteries your money can purchase in comparison to other brands in the world. The product type has a consistent self discharge rate and would outlast most of the competition. These models are the way to go when looking for a low cost option that you can use with everyday devices like clocks, remotes and video game controllers. Out of a number of benefits, one of the things that distinguishes the product is that they contain no mercury or cadmium, making it a safe and smart choice.
- Built to last up to 10 year shelf life
- Prevents leakage and maintains power over time
- Recloseable storage pack
- Can’t withstand heat exposure
Rayovac AA Batteries
This is one of the best choices of AA battery brands any guide in the world would encourage you to purchase at great deals with high rating and reviews none of the competitors can dispute. It is available at a fair price and has a 10-year shelf lifespan so you can order in bulk and store for use in emergency situations. The battery type undergoes double testing before shipment to ensure you can feel at ease trusting these high-quality batteries for everyday uses and emergency situations.
- Designed to prevent battery leaks damaging your gadgets.
- Uses power rings and max capacity can for lasting excellent performance.
- Ideal for high use devices like torch lights, toys and remotes.
- Not suitable for extreme temperatures.
- You can’t charge the batteries.
Duracell Optimum AA Batteries
These new Duracell products are made of quality material that means extra energy for your devices, for example, your play toys, torch lights, headphones, thermostats and others. The lasting impact and careful testing of the battery is another reason Duracell is the #1 trusted battery brand in the world. In terms of savings, the battery is available for a low amount, lasts a long time and you can rest with a sense that it provides quality and leakage protection.
- Lasts in storage till the end of a decade.
- Resealable storage tray makes it a bit easier to organize and store batteries.
- Available in AA and AAA battery sizes.
- May explode, leak or cause burn injury if recharged.
- Can not be mixed with a different battery type.
Anker Alkaline AA Batteries
The Anker company sets the benchmark for competition in times where there is much need for power capacity and connectivity. With product 10-year shelf life, people can buy lots of packs at a time without any damaging result. The batteries have a wide range of uses from remote and game controls to house security systems, and are designed in an easily recyclable manner.
- When in box storage, there is no constant passive power loss.
- The packaging and product are built from recycled parts and are recyclable.
- These alkaline batteries give adaptive output based on your device requirement.
- Keep in mind that these batteries are not rechargeable.
Rayovac AA Batteries, Ultra Pro
These lower cost and long lasting batteries are designed for professional and high use equipment like flashlights and wireless devices. It comes in a protective packaging you can use to organize the batteries for times you would need them. These AA batteries provide long-lasting energy for regular use and the quality of the product is attested to by many reviews and high score rankings that show that on a whole, this is a great choice for your battery powered devices.
- Designed to be ideal for use in portable digital electronics
- It uses reclosable packaging
- The battery doesn’t leak and retains power for up to a decade in storage.
- The product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
- The battery is not suitable for extreme temperatures
This company is one that stands apart from competitors with its many quality power products distributed over the world. These Carbon Zinc AA batteries are ones designed for super heavy duty power and have several applications. This line is found in the color black and controls energy discharge making it very useful for daily long term usage.
- One of the major benefit tips is that it is perfectly suitable for certain devices that only take carbon zinc, not alkaline, batteries.
- Very affordable and long lasting.
- The battery is specifically designed for heavy duty power.
- Nonrechargable or reusable
Energizer Rechargeable AA
This purchase comes with a the Recharge Pro device that can charge the batteries as fast as four hours. It charges four AAA NiMH rechargeable batteries or two AA batteries at the time. How much the battery (or batteries) have charged is shown with the intelligent battery indicator system that audibly and visibly alerts the user. And on a full charge the recharge pro automatically shuts off to prevent the battery overcharging and getting the most battery life out of them. Included in the package are four of the best lithium aa batteries.
- The batteries are one of the longest lasting on the market
- The batteries are one of the best double a batteries
- The battery charger is not durable
AmazonBasics High-Capacity AA
The batteries are top quality, they have been tested, trusted and have been seen to power medium drain to high drain devices for long periods. The Amazonbasics batteries come pre charged and offer one of the longest battery lives on the market. Each battery has 1,000 cycles, that is it can be used and recharged a thousand times with minimal power loss. And when they can no longer hold a charge, they can be recycled, to do this,find a recycling location near you using this link .
- The batteries come pre charged
- You have the option to recycle we they can not hold a charge
- They have a gradual self discharge rate
- As time goes by, they begin to hold lesser charge
Duracell – Rechargeable AA Batteries
Duracell is a brand known to make the best aa batteries. Rechargeable variants are no different because they still offer the same quality that is expected from the duracell brand. These batteries are deisgned to be used in wireless electronics, baby monitors, video game controllers and other medium to high drain devices. They hold the most charge for the most time, they can hold a charge for as long as one year and an stay in storage for up to ten years. It comes with a resealable seal , just peel, use and reseal.
- It can hold a charge for up to a year
- The batteries can stay ten years in storage
- The batteries are not very durable after prolonged use
Panasonic BK-3MCCA8BA Eneloop
The Panasonic Eneloop rechargeable batteries can be recharged for as many as 2,100 times, they can maintain more than 60% of their charge for a decade when not in use. The NiMH pre charged aa battery has 2,000 mAh capacity, these batteries can be recharged when partially or fully discharged. They are ideal for products in the household like wireless keyboard and mouse, torch lights, and wireless gaming controllers, and can function at very low temperatures.
- The batteries can function at temperatures as low as -4 F
- Panasonic’s advanced tech allows them be recharged as many as 2,100 times
- It has a long storage life
Overall Best Buy
Panasonic Eneloop. These are without any doubt the best on the list, they are one of the pricier batteries but the value from the money spent makes them the battery to beat. It can be recharged 2,100 times, can maintain most of the charge when stored for a decade and the batteries come pre charged with solar power, ready to be used out the box.
Best Budget Buy
Amazon Basics. 48 pack for under $20 is all you need to know about why this battery is our budget pick. Asides the value you would be getting from the purchase, you would be getting a high end battery that offers reliable performance for a range of devices.
Types of Batteries
The AA battery we use today was first introduced over a century ago before it was perfected and standardized in the 19th and 20th century. Users have three AA battery types to choose from, they are:
Single Use Disposable Alkaline AA Battery
If you have come across a double a battery, chances are that is is of this type. This battery type are affordable and effective, they power a range of devices, from cameras, music players and many more. These batteries produce a constant 1.5 volt that would remain steady until the energy is depleted. They do have their drawbacks, they are primarily use for devices that do not demand too much power like a remote control or clocks, They are known for also leaking aqueous potassium hydroxide, a basic substance that is ironically dubbed battery acid, this fluid are not dangerous but can damage your devices.
Lithium AA Battery
These are the newer battery types when compared to alkaline batteries, they are a lot more expensive and this is because they offer more potential energy and can power some devices ten times over. Lithium AA batteries are lighter than their Alkaline brothers and offer a very long shelf life that is usually measured in decades. Although it might not be practical in some cases as the price makes it illogical for many uses.
Rechargeable AA battery
These are AA batteries that can be recharged over and over again, it might be costly investment initially as it necessitates a charging unit but in the long run is a good bargain. The best rechargeable aa batteries offer many cycles and the best ones have as many as a thousand cycles.
Safe Battery Disposal and Storage
To get the most out of your battery you would need to store them well, batteries should be stored at low temperatures, ideally around 60 F, should not be in direct sunlight and should be stored in a dry space. A common myth is that it is okay to store batteries if the refrigerator or freezer, this is not true, as this could cause corrosion as a result of condensation. One tip I like to share is that batteries should be stored in the original package that comes with the battery.
Rechargeable batteries should be stored when their capacity is halved, this makes it impossible for it to drain fully and if this happens, recharging can be a headache. Alkaline batteries on the other hand should be used up completely and discarded.
You can discard alkaline batteries with other household waste because modern batteries do not have harmful chemicals like mercury in their composition. Just make sure that you do not dispose many at the same time because the residual energy could cause heat and could be a potential fire hazard.