We all aware that communication is essential in our daily activities. We might not always be together to call out to ourselves or communicate with each other by speaking to ourselves. It is why we need some tools that can ensure communication between us without having to be close or beside each other.
Since communication has become an essential of life, technology has made some improvements. It has taken communication to a high level, ensuring ease and convenience using the internet, cellular phones, mobile radios, walkie talkies, etc.
Walkie talkies are suitable for indoor and outdoor use. But you have to make your choice to pick a walkie talkie that suits your that’s ideal for use indoors. Several radios are fit for use behind closed doors; you have to identify them and make your choice.
Table of Contents
- 0.1 Considerations when choosing the best indoor walkie talkies
- 1 15 Best Walkie Talkies for Indoor Use
- 1.1 1. Retevis H-777
- 1.2 2. BaoFeng BF-888S
- 1.3 3. Midland – LXT600VP3
- 1.4 4. Motorola Talkabout T402
- 1.5 5. Greaval Rechargeable Radios
- 1.6 6. Retevis RT20
- 1.7 7. BaoFeng UV-5R5
- 1.8 8. Motorola Talkabout T460
- 1.9 9. COBRA CX190-4
- 1.10 10. BAOFENG GT-22
- 1.11 11. Ansoko Rechargable Radios
- 1.12 12. Retevis RT22 Two Way Radio
- 1.13 13. Midland – X-TALKER T77VP5
- 1.14 14. Uniden MHS75 walkie talkies
- 1.15 15. Midland GXT1000VP4
- 2 Overall Best Buy
- 3 Best Budget Buy
- 4 FAQs
Considerations when choosing the best indoor walkie talkies
There are several types of radios that you can use for your indoor activities, which is why you have to be careful when choosing the radio you want. Some specific factors need consideration while picking a two-way radios’ choice; these factors help you create a standard for the type of radio you want.
Worry less as here are some factors that will guide you through the task of picking a well-befitting radio for your use indoors.
The size of the radio you want to choose is one of the top priority factors to consider while making your choice. It is essential to consider this factor as it is of great importance to you if you consider it perfectly. The radio’s size, compactness, portability, handiness, and other related factors are vital.
The radio’s size is very crucial, especially when you want to use it for indoor activities. When performing indoor activities, carrying a large radio around might be difficult because the radio’s large size will hinder some works. Small size radios are the best for your indoor activities as they have many advantages to offer.
Small size two way radios are very easy to use and will pose little or no stress as large-sized ones will. You can get radios the size of a cell phone, and you can also get the ones of larger size. The smaller your radio’s size, the easier it is to handle and control, which is why it is advisable always to get radios of small size for your indoor activities.
The range is also an essential factor to consider when choosing the best radio for your indoor activities. The communication range refers to the distance the users of the radios can be apart. At the same time, they maintain a strong connection for communication. You have to consider the range of the two-way radio you want to get before venturing into it.
The radio range is vital, but you do not need a device with a high range for indoor activities. You need a device with short-range but powerful penetrating abilities. You have to determine if the radio runs on the VHF frequency band or the UHF frequency band.
The VHF frequency band is useful for outdoor activities because it has a high range and low penetrating power. The VHF frequency band is suitable for indoor activities because it has a low range and high penetrating power. You need a device that can penetrate through concrete and steel when using the radio indoors, which is why you should get a UHF radio. To be on the safe side, you can get a radio that runs on the UHF and VHF frequency because you never can tell when you will need it.
The durability of the product also matters when choosing a radio. The durability of a product refers to how long the product can last and maintain efficiency while facing harsh conditions. It is better to choose a highly durable radio for your indoor operations.
You can get several radios for your communication, but you have to choose the few that are highly durable and reliable. There are cases where your radio can accidentally drop or come across extreme conditions. These cases require you to get a very durable radio that can withstand fall and harsh conditions.
The materials used to manufacture the radio determine how durable it is. You have to check out the material used to manufacture the radio and be sure of its quality. High-quality material will always make a durable radio, which is why you have to choose a radio with high-quality material.
One crucial factor to consider is the battery life of the radio you are about to get. The radio needs to have a quality that can ensure a good working time and last for a long while. You have to consider this before you choose the radio..
The radio’s battery life is vital for its smooth running, which is why you have to consider it before purchasing it. The battery quality and battery life are related, and they determine the power the battery provides. Whenever you want to get a radio for use, you should check the material used to manufacture the battery and be sure of its efficiency.
Materials like lithium-ion are good for battery making, so you can get radios that use lithium-ion batteries. Other battery materials can provide quality battery power and life, which is why you have to know much about the material before choosing the battery. A good battery makes it easy to use radios for indoor and outdoor uses.
You have to consider the number of channels a radio has before purchasing because you would not want to purchase a radio that does not worth its price. The number of radio channels is very important because it is advantageous to have radios with many channels. There are several radios with various channels, so you have to consider the number of the channel a model has before getting it.
Communication on a two-way radio takes place with the use of channels. You can only communicate with a group of people on a channel; you can communicate with different groups using different channels. It means the more the channel, the more group of people you can communicate with easily.
Always go for radios with multiple channels because they will classify different people to suit your use. The activity you intend to perform with the radio will determine the amount of channel you will need and what type of radio you should get. It is always advisable to get radios with many channels because you might one day need it.
The price of a product is one of the important factors to consider when choosing a radio. The price is an essential factor of every commodity, and you must not overlook it. The cost of a product gives an insight into its quality so you should be wise with your choice of product.
Ensure you consider your product’s price. You should not go for expensive ones or cheap ones because expensive ones tend to be a waste of money while cheap ones sometimes have low quality. Always go for products at a moderate price and ensure you do not get influenced by the cheap ones and not intimated by the expensive ones; make the right choice.
15 Best Walkie Talkies for Indoor Use
1. Retevis H-777
The Retevis h 777 is one of the best walkie talkies for indoor business use. The all-black radio features 16 channels, all with privacy codes for secure communication. The 3 watts two-way radio has a range of well over 3 miles under suitable weather conditions.
- It is easy to use and doesn’t require a license.
- The radio has a large battery capacity that can last about 9 hours with 3 hours charge.
- Other features include scanning function, TOT, emergency alarm, power-saving and built-in LED torch.
- It has relatively one of the best performances with high penetrating signals.
- It boasts of a durable body that won’t break easily.
- Equipped with VOX for hands free use
- Can communicate with other radios as long as they’re set to the same radio frequencies
- The ham radio doesn’t have an LCD display.
2. BaoFeng BF-888S
The BF-888S two-way radio I a powerful device that has proved itself useful in all situations. The radio uses ultra-high frequency technology, which grants it a long-range and easily penetrates obstacles. The ham radio has 16 channels with privacy codes for secure transmission. It can connect with other radios regardless of brand.
- The radio is equipped with a bright LED flashlight.
- It doesn’t require a license to operate.
- The radio has superb battery life.
- The radio doesn’t have an LED display.
- There is no auto squelch function to filter unwanted frequencies.
3. Midland – LXT600VP3
The Midland LXT600VP3 is a useful device for indoor use. The license-free radio has 32 FRS GMRS channels with 121 privacy codes for secure transmission. The radio has dual power (a rechargeable battery and 3 AAA alkaline batteries), so users enjoy longer talk time. The LXT600VP3 device is one of the best radios for family use as it is children friendly.
- The radio features NOAA weather alert.
- It picks signals within a 30-mile range and connects to other brands of radios.
- The radio is relatively cheap amongst radios.
- It doesn’t have a squelch function.
4. Motorola Talkabout T402
The Motorola Talk about T402, although known for its outdoor performance, also sets a killing pace for other two way radios in indoor activities. The radio features 22 channels and 121 privacy codes that give users the integrity of secure communication. The radio comes with a belt clip, a user manual and a micro USB charging cable.
- Equipped with NOAA weather for news and alerts
- It can easily connect to other brands of FRS radios.
- The radio has a 35-mile range under suitable weather conditions.
- The walkie talkie’s LCD display has a slightly crowded menu.
- It doesn’t have an auto squelch feature.
5. Greaval Rechargeable Radios
The Greaval walkie talkie is a lightweight radio that uses UHF technology. The radio operates on 16 family radio service channels, with each channel having privacy codes for secure communication. By just pushing its talk button, users communicate with friends and family over a long-range.
- The radio is easy to use
- It is equipped with a low battery alarm, English voice prompt and power-saving function.
- It can easily pick radio signals over a 3-mile range.
- The radio is programmable and can connect with other brands of FRS and GMRS radios.
- The radio doesn’t have an LCD display.
- It can easily break on impact with hard surfaces.
6. Retevis RT20
With the small size and lightweight design, the Retevis RT20 two way radios are perfect for indoor use. The functions of the radios can be easily found on the keyboard. This makes the device easy to use and would come in handy whenever you need to communicate with your kids. The radio is an FRS radio with 16 channels and 50 CTCSS/ 208 DCS codes that allow you to have private communication. The VOX function allows you to have hands free operation, so you can still communicate with your device even when you’re busy.
- One of the radio’s best features is the keypad lock function, which guides against accidentally changing your settings.
- Radio signals are poor at a long distance.
7. BaoFeng UV-5R5
The BaoFeng UV 5R5 dual band two-way radio is an upgraded model with a better high gain antenna that can receive even the weakest of signals. The 2 pack walkie talkies can transmit as high as 5 watts of power output, which can be adjusted to 1 watt. These VHF radios have a frequency range of VHF: 136-174 MHz/ UHF: 400-500MHz. You can enjoy smooth communication anywhere indoors with 128 memory channels and 50 CTCSS/105 DCS privacy codes. The BaoFeng UV-5R5 dual-band radio has some special features such as Time-out Timer, Keypad Lock, Monitor Channel, Low Battery Alert and VOX function.
- You can get up to a 3-mile range of communication on the radio.
- The radio is water and shock-resistant.
- BaoFeng UV-5R5 is a ham radio, so.it requires the use of a license.
8. Motorola Talkabout T460
The Motorola Talkabout T460 (2 pack) radios are also ideal for indoor use. The 22 channel two way radios offer a long range of communication for users, with 121 privacy codes making it easy for you to find an available channel without interference. The radio also features NOAA weather that alerts you when there are severe weather conditions in your area. You can also enjoy hands-free operation with the VOX function on the radio. The device can be powered by the NiMH rechargeable battery or AA batteries.
- The radio features an emergency alert that helps you inform others whenever you’re in danger.
- The audio quality of the radio is poor.
9. COBRA CX190-4
Cobra CX190-4 (4 pack) radios are easy to use, easy to carry, and perfect for use indoors. With a long-range of communication up to 16 miles, communication is made smooth and effective. The radio is an FRS/GMRS two way radio with 22 channels (7 GMRS/FRS channels, 8 GMRS channels & 7 FRS channels) and 10 NOAA weather channels that allow weather alerts to inform you of impending weather emergencies. The radios work with AAA rechargeable batteries for operation.
- The two-way radios are microphone and headset enabled, and this helps with the sound quality.
- The radio is compact and easy to carry.
- The radio does not come with batteries.
10. BAOFENG GT-22
BaoFeng GT-22 (4 pack) radios are just what you need if you’re looking for a high powered device for indoor use. The walkie talkie’s rechargeable battery provides 8 hours of continuous use and charges for about 4 hours. The radio is lightweight, super slim and has a high audio quality. All these come together to make it the best walkie talkie for indoor use, at home or in offices. It also has a high power output of 2 watts and a long communication range that allows easy communication among group members. With the approval of the Federal Communications Commission, the radio is an FRS radio with 16 channels.
- The radio has a range of 4 miles.
- You can talk easily on the pre-programmed FRS channels.
- The transmission range of the device can be affected by other factors.
11. Ansoko Rechargable Radios
Having walkie talkies that are durable and long-lasting is an understated necessity. With that in mind, the Ansoko FRS/gmrs radio clears that hurdle brilliantly. The two-way radio features 16 channels on the UHF 400-470 MHz spectrum with privacy codes for secure communication. However, the Ansoko ham radio has made a name for itself in the outdoor niche thanks to its long-range; it is still known as one of the best two-way radios for indoor use.
- The radio can connect to some other brands
- The radios boast of a max communication range well above 3 miles.
- The gmrs radio has few functions.
- It isn’t equipped with an LCD display.
12. Retevis RT22 Two Way Radio
The Retevis RT 22 two way radio is one of the best modern-style radios in the market. The ham radio has 16 channels on the FRS frequency range that users can communicate straight out of the box. Coupled with its long-range advantage, users get to work with it for over 10 hours when fully charged. The walkie talkie is suitable for indoor use.
- The radio is aesthetic and durable.
- It is equipped with nine levels of VOX for an even better user experience.
- It features a squelch function, channel scan and emergency alarm.
- The radio doesn’t have an LCD display.
- Its small size makes it prone to being misplaced.
13. Midland – X-TALKER T77VP5
The Midland X talker walkie talkie is another valid example of the best walkie talkies for indoor use. The 36 channel FRS two-way radio has 121 privacy codes on each channel for secure and uninterrupted communication with peers. The gmrs two-way radio also boasts of a 38-mile range under suitable weather conditions.
- The radio is easy to use, and it doesn’t require a license to operate.
- The device can stay powered for over 10 hours with continuous use.
- Can be connected with other brands of walkie talkies
- It is equipped with Vox voice activation.
- The weather radio has NOAA weather channels for up to date alerts.
- It boasts of a crystal clear LCD display.
- The water-resistant radio shell is fragile.
- It does not have a squelch function.
14. Uniden MHS75 walkie talkies
Uniden MHS75 is a VHF marine radio that is also suitable for indoor use. The radio is designed to float and will do just that when it drops in water; this makes it one of the best walkie talkies for outdoor and even indoor use. The radio waves work on VHF frequencies, and it covers all USA, Canada and international channels. The battery of the radio provides about 10 hours of communication and transmission.
- It has 3 selectable levels of power- 1, 2.5 and 6 watts. 1 and 2.5 can conserve the battery, and 6 watts can be used for maximum output.
- It is one of the few walkie talkies with no VOX function.
15. Midland GXT1000VP4
Midland GXT1000VP4 (6 pack) walkie talkies feature 50 GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) channels, 142 privacy codes and 36 miles range of communication – a perfect combination for indoor use. The two-way radios also have 10 weather channels that give off weather alerts. You can use the AA alkaline batteries or the rechargeable battery to power the walkie talkie. With the VOX function, you can enjoy hands free operation.
- It has the whisper feature with which you can communicate with a group member without disturbing others.
- The radios are water-resistant and will survive light rain or water splashes.
- The radios come with belt clips that are not so strong.
Overall Best Buy
The Motorola Talkabout T402 is one of the best walkie talkies you can get. The radio is useful for many communication purposes and has some additional features that suit a wide range of use. It is very portable, compact, and handy with a powerful battery that powers it.
The radio is suitable for indoor use because of its comprised features. It is very durable with an IP54 rating and includes a built-in flashlight for illumination in case of darkness. It also has the VOX feature for easy communication.
Best Budget Buy
The BaoFeng BF-888s walkie talkie is a very portable and handy radio with high performance and efficiency. The radio is very suitable for low and medium buyers. It is highly affordable for a wide range of users. The walkie talkie has every feature you need, making it a perfect fit for a wide indoor application range.
It is very durable and has a built-in flashlight that offers illumination when needed. It has various frequency modes that ensure a wide variety of frequency choices for transmission. It is highly suitable for indoor uses.
Where to Buy Best Walkie Talkie for Indoor Use?
There are several places you can get a walkie talkie, but to go for the best, you will have to visit legit and authorized sales stores that run either offline or online or both. Stores like this include Amazon, eBay, Etsy, etc. You can also get them from physical stores near you.
Regardless of whether it is an online or offline store, you have to be sure of the store’s authenticity and legitimacy for the assurance of getting quality products.